Churchill’s was founded by John Graham in 1981, as the first British Port Wine company to be established in 50 years. His desire was to set up a company to produce his own, individual style of wine. It was his wife, Caroline Churchill, who provided the company with its name. In an industry where others are hundreds of years old, we were new challengers to the market. We worked hard to create the best port possible, as an independent and passionate new boutique, creating our own special wines as we thought they should be made.
In 1999 we bought our own Vineyards – Quinta da Gricha – a 50 hectare Grade “A” Vineyard estate situated on the south bank of the River Douro, in the prestigious Cima Corgo sub-region. All of our ports are produced here, in traditional granite “lagares” or treading tanks built in 1852.
Since then we have also produced a table wine business – Churchill Estates, launched in 2004 to grow our wine portfolio.
Today we are known as a high quality “boutique” Port and Douro Wine Company. We create premium Port and Douro Wine, and we hope you enjoy our wines, or will try one soon.